The Milwaukee Bucks took down the Boston Celtics 108-100 to give the Bucks their first win of the season. It’s crucial that the Milwaukee Bucks start off the season on the right note.
1. Bucks point guard and former rookie of the year, Malcolm Brogdon, outdueled Kyrie Irving the whole night. Brogdon finished with 19 points, 4 assists, and, he finished a team-high plus-10. More notably was his stellar defense on Kyrie Irving. Brogdon was in his grill all night and made Uncle Drew work for everything. Irving finished with 17 points, but he shot a forgetful 7-25 from the field. Malcolm Brogdon is here to stay.
2. Khris Middleton looked excellent, even though his shooting numbers (6-17) didn’t say so. Middleton finally looks healthy and refreshed, he certainly has more bounce in his step this season. He finished tied with Brogdon for a team-high plus-10 on the night, and he also contributed to Milwaukee’s terrific 4th quarter defense. He looked gassed towards the end of the game and missed some good looks, but he filled up the stat sheet with 9 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. This was certainly a great start to the season for Khris Middleton,
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo’s MVP candidacy started tonight. 37 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals on the night for the Greek Freak. He came out of the gates and was forcing things on the offensive end, resulting in a few turnovers and missed bunnies. Giannis got better as the game went along. Make no mistake, the Bucks won this game because he willed them to the finish line. When it looked like the Bucks were ready to fold, Giannis answered the call. This is only one terrific performance in what should be his best season yet.
4. John Henson got some crunch time minutes! Yes, you are reading that right. Coach Jason Kidd decided to go with Henson over Monroe down the stretch, and it paid dividends. In 17 minutes, he finished with 5 points, 6 rebounds, but more importantly, 4 blocked shots. Kudos to John Henson tonight, he played terrific defense late, and he was rewarded for his efforts.
5. The Milwaukee Bucks defense is legit. The Bucks held the Celtics to 42% shooting and forced 15 turnovers. The Milwaukee Bucks are most effective when they are forcing turnovers and pushing the pace. Tonight, it looked like the Bucks were making a conceded effort to push the tempo. The defense bent early in the 4th quarter, but it didn’t break. The Bucks put the clamps down on the Celtics late in the 4th to secure an impressive opening night victory on the road.