The Milwaukee Bucks were propelled to victory by using a late 12-2 run to secure a victory over the Washington Wizards.
- The “Marquee Three” was unstoppable this afternoon. The trio combined for 69 points and they torched Washington, especially in crunch time. When Giannis Antetokounmpo, Eric Bledsoe, and Khris Middleton have solid performances like they did today, the Bucks are incredibly difficult to beat. It was an especially refreshing sight to see Khris Middleton break out of his shooting slump a bit today, he scored 19 points on 9-16 from the floor (no threes), 6 rebounds 4 assists, and 3 steals. Speedy point guard Eric Bledsoe also had a nice bounce-back game after a dreadful performance against the Heat in Miami yesterday. E-Bled finished with 23 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and 4 steals while shooting 8-15 from the floor and 3-5 from deep.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo took over in the second half. The Greek Freak struggled in the first half with only 9 points, but he came out in attack mode in the second half. He finished with 27 points, a career-high 20 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 blocked shots. Again, the Wizards were making things difficult for Giannis, and he shot 9-23 from the floor. He went to the foul line 15 times and converted on 9 attempts. However, he made his shots when it matters most, including another fadeaway jump shot dagger over Markieff Morris with 1:30 left in the game. Giannis even admitted that he’s a more aggressive scorer in the second half of games, and we saw that this afternoon. Have a game, young fella.
- The Milwaukee Bucks starting 5 was excellent today. They played well on both ends of the floor, and as a result got a much-needed victory over the Wizards. John Henson was plus-22, Giannis was plus-27, Khris Middleton was plus-19, E-Bled was a team-high plus-23, and Malcolm Brogdon was plus-19. The Bucks got 89 of their 110 points from the starters, and they set the tone early in this one. Like most games, the starters are the reason why the Bucks were able to win.
- Thon Maker continues to struggle. After looking pretty decent for a stretch of games after the new year, Thon Maker has regressed (again). He finished with 4 points and 2 rebounds today while finishing with a minus-14. His struggles this season are well documented, and arguably his biggest flaw is that his hands are made of stone. Maker has a lot of trouble catching the ball no matter where he is on the floor, and it drags down the Bucks. Aside from a nice hustle play in the first half, t his was yet another forgetful game for the young Buck.
- Milwaukee’s team defense was very good today. They swiped away 14 steals by using their length to disrupt passes and forced Washington into a season-worst 24 turnovers. The Bucks were extremely active on the defensive end of the floor, and it certainly paid off for them as they finished with 18 fast break points. The Bucks also held the Wizards to 42.1% shooting from the field and 28.6% from three. The Bucks are the worst team in the NBA at defending the three-ball, so today’s performance was absolutely a slight move in the positive direction.